Need to translate?

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Hipster names: A myth or nah?

Today on Nameberry, a user told me that two of the names in my signature were "Hipster Hell." which translates to "Sounding desperate."


Ummm... Ouch?


At first I was really disappointed in her, because I'd never come across a Nameberry user that was rude like that. Whenever someone asks for opinions on their names, I try to be honest, but still gentle because names can be super personal to people at times. But as I got to thinking... I realized something.


I don't believe in Hipster Names.
*I'll explain the crossing-out below


In my opinion, they are as real as Santa Claus. (Sorry to disappoint any believers out there, but it is what it is.) Why are they not real? Well... you can't gauge them. Mainly because a "hipster" is really hard to define. These are a couple of Urban Dictionary's ideas of what a hipster is:



"One who possesses tastes, social attitudes, and opinions deemed cool by the cool. (Note: it is no longer recommended that one use the term "cool"; a Hipster would instead say "deck.") The Hipster walks among the masses in daily life but is not a part of them and shuns or reduces to kitsch anything held dear by the mainstream. A Hipster ideally possesses no more than 2% body fat."
 
"An unwashed and un-groomed person who hates corporations and everything mainstream, yet still buys Apple products."
 
"Listens to bands that you have never heard of. Has hairstyle that can only be described as "complicated." (Most likely achieved by a minimum of one week not washing it.) Probably tattooed. Maybe gay. Definitely cooler than you. Reads Black Book, Nylon, and the Styles section of the New York Times. Drinks Pabst Blue Ribbon. Often. Complains. Always denies being a hipster. Hates the word. Probably living off parents money - and spends a great deal of it to look like they don't have any. Has friends and/or self cut hair. Dyes it frequently (black, white-blonde, etc. and until scalp bleeds). Has a closet full of clothing but usually wears same three things OVER AND OVER (most likely very tight black pants, scarf, and ironic tee-shirt). Chips off nail polish artfully after $50 manicure. Sleeps with everyone and talks about it at great volume in crowded coffee shops. Addicted to coffee, cigarettes (Parliaments, Kamel Reds, Lucky Strikes, etc.), and possibly cocaine. Claims to be in a band. Rehearsals consist of choosing outfits for next show and drinking PBR. Always on the list. Majors or majored in art, writing, or queer studies. Name-drops. May go by "Penny Lane," "Eleanor Rigby," etc. when drunk. On PBR. Which is usually."



Okaaaay, those were hilarious and slightly politically incorrect, and all of those made me laugh out loud.

But seriously, isn't all of that just a tad bit harsh?

I looked up the list of "Hipster" names on Nameberry and other sites, and these names seemed to be the common denominator:


 
Boys:
Atticus
Dexter
Otis
Auden
Lennon
Holden
Jasper
Kai
Milo
Jack
Sebastian
Scout
 
 
Girls:
Hazel
Olive
Tallulah
Pearl
June/Juno
Wren
Romy
Iris
Lana
Ruby
Mabel


Okay, Okay, so the two names I love ARE defined as "hipster" (The names were Talullah Wren and Holden Jack.) But... is that, like, reallllly terrible?

It's not like either of these names are made up. Tallulah is an Irish name that means "lady of abundance" and Wren is obviously a bird. Holden is the name of a character from my favorite book, and the nickname Jack has been around for ages, plus it's currently on trend with all of the little Jacksons/Jaxons running around.

If you look at the names on this list, it becomes clear that the majority of these names are either nature names, or names inspired by modern heroes (Holden, Lennon, Lana, etc.) Aren't those nice qualities in names? I think "hipsters" are onto something.


I take back what I said before. I do believe in hipster names. There are names that many "hipsters" are using for their children. But I personally think they have great taste. These names are fun and spunky, and I love that about them.

I'm not even a hipster. I'm kind of preppy-ish and I really like skulls and tattoos, so I don't know what that counts as. But I'd totally go to a hipster for name advice, any day.

So here's to the hipster names; I adore you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment