Need to translate?

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The "long A" sound names: America's favorites

Finals week is slowly coming to an end and that means I'll get back on my blogging track! Woop Woop!
 
 
If you're an American reading this post, I guarantee you that you can think of a LOT of kids with this long A sound in their name. The "ay" sound is America's favorite, in my opinion.



First, let's take a look at the boy names. There -Aydens. Aidan, Brayden, Caden, Hayden, Jayden reigned as kings of the name world, and other spellings and variations followed suit. The main sound in all of those names is "ay." Now, I see a whole new set of "ay" names on trend: the -Asons. Mason, clearly, has become hugely popular. I can also count at least 10 Casons (all spelled differently) under the age of five. Grayson is popular in my area as well, and I've also spotted some Paysons. Other popular names for boys with this sound are Gabriel, Jacob, Caleb, Jace, Blake, and Chase.


With girl names, there are lot's of -aylas. Layla, Mckayla, Kayla, Jayla, Shayla, and I've seen a few Aylas. There's also been a huge trend of -ae middle names for girls: Rae, Mae, Jae. Other popular girl names with this sound are Ava, Grace, Payton, Paisley, Jada and Reagan.


I think we see so many of these "ay" sound names simply because it's easy for us native English speakers to say. When we're looking for names, aside from style and what the name reminds us of, we want names that are easy and pleasant to say.

Looking for the "ay" sound, but want some less trendy/popular alternatives? Glad you asked :)

 
 
 
Boys:

Baylor
Asa
Tatum
Eamon
Hadrian
Draven
Abram
Aiken
Sage
Lane
 
 
 

Girls:

Freya
Maven
Cate
Esme
Mabel
Waverly
Hazel
Blakely
Veda
Asia
 
 
 
 
Alright guys, that's it for today! I'm gonna go grab a coffee and head to class. My next post will be one that was requested of me to write, and so I'm pretty excited about it. Thanks for reading!
 
 
 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment