Need to translate?

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Cool names on Class lists vs. Graveyard finds

It's my vacation week, and naturally, I get an obnoxious head cold. I've decided all this week that I'm going to fight the sickness by still doing things I would normally do and so, I went Name Hunting :)
 
 
I'm really fascinated by how names nowadays and names back in the early twentieth century are slowly meshing. Not totally, of course, and we know that to be true when we look at little McKinleigh or Lakynn. But names like Addie, Eli, Amelia, Lily, and Oliver are names that are equally as likely to be found in a graveyard, and a Kindergarten classroom. So that being said, I did a mini-study by comparing the names I found cool/interesting on a class list, and names I found cool/interesting on the headstones in the field right next to them:
 
 
Class lists
Jonas, Elias, Branch, Augustin, Ezra, Sebastian, Abram, Branson
Natalia, Novalei, Jacqueline, Kenna, Capri, Journey, Corinne
 
I don't know about you, but the boys names in this list are screaming vintage to me. They look just like something one would find in a graveyard. The girls are a bit more modern, but still interesting and spunky.
 
Headstones
Jennings, Rufus, Solomon, Vaughn, Basil, Woodrow, Darcus, Ephram, Wade, Dock, Ellis
Roxie, Wilcie, Hettie, Hallie, Clarinda, Arie, Luthenia, Albia, Cecilia, Leona, Launa, Jane, Ollie, Emma Lou
 
Call me weird, whatever, but graveyard names are c o o l. I wouldn't use most of those, but I'd love it if someone did use some of them. Imagine meeting a little Jennings in baby Converse and scruffy brown hair.
 
Anyways, those are my current finds. Hope you enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment